By Menachem Mor, Bryan F. Le Beau
9 essays light up the cultural advancements resulting in these pivotal occasions and the centuries of repercussion either for Jews and local americans in 1492.
Read or Download Religion in the Age of Exploration:: The Case of New Spain. (Studies in Jewish Civilization) PDF
Best judaism books
Whereas offering their moral classes, rabbinic texts usually hire brilliant photographs of dying, getting older, starvation, defecation, persecution, and drought. In Confronting Vulnerability, Jonathan Wyn Schofer rigorously examines those texts to determine why their creators proposal that human vulnerability was once the sort of the most important device for teaching scholars within the improvement of exemplary habit.
Drawing jointly severe moments within the heritage of ecu Jewry-its front as a player within the Enlightenment undertaking of non secular and political reform and its involvement within the anxious upheavals as a result of the nice War-this booklet deals a reappraisal of the intersection of tradition, politics, theology, and philosophy within the smooth global during the lens of 2 of an important thinkers in their day, Moses Mendelssohn and Franz Rosenzweig.
Die Schrift De incarnatione Theodors von Mopsuestia (350-428), verfasst zu Beginn des christologischen Streits, stand bis zu Theodors Verurteilung 553 immer wieder im Zentrum der Debatte. Die Studie zur Uberlieferung der uberbliebenen Fragmente des Werks bietet neue Einblicke in den Verlauf des Streits und klart die Frage der Zuverlassigkeit des Textes.
- Italian Studies on Philo of Alexandria (Ancient Mediterranean and Medieval Texts and Contexts)
- Three Questions of Formative Judaism: History, Literature, and Religion
- God dwells with his people: a study of Israel's ancient tabernacle
- Israeli Culture in Perspective
Extra resources for Religion in the Age of Exploration:: The Case of New Spain. (Studies in Jewish Civilization)
See Abravanel, I Samuel, 8:6 in Commentary on the Prophets 1 (Jerusalem: Torah Vadaath, 1956): 203 (Hebrew). It is Strauss' view (112, n. 4) that Abravanel was familiar with these texts from Christian, Jewish, and Islamic sources. 8. Cf. Abravanel's view of the rights of the people under a tyrant king in Commentary on Deuteronomy 17:16-20. When accepting a king, the people have made a covenant with him, promising their obedience. That covenant is regarded as absolute. 9. " Netanyahu, 176. 10. Aristotle, Cicero and Seneca, all of whose political writings influenced medieval political conceptions, insisted that moral excellence is a sine qua non of authentic kingship.
15. , 96-99. 16. See Maimonides, The Guide of the Perplexed, trans. Shlomo Pines, 2 (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1969): Chapters 32-48, 360-412. 17. Loc cit. 18. Strauss, 107, 110 n. 4. 19. Maimonides strongly influenced Spinoza's political philosophy as put forth in the Theologico-Political Treatise. See Leo Strauss, Spinoza's Critique of Religion, trans. M. Sinclair. (New York: Schocken, 1965); also L. A. Wolfson, The Philosophy of Spinoza (New York: Meridian Books, 1960, 1934). 20.
Information about the members of the first group, whose judaizing preceded the Expulsion, includes detailed records from various early trials that, at times, closely resemble descriptions of normative Jewish homes. For example, María Díaz of Ciudad Real was tried from 1483-4. 9 The specifics of her judaizing activities included honoring the Sabbath by lighting candles, preparing food in advance, wearing clean clothes, not engaging in work, visiting relatives and friends, and praying and reading to others from a prayerbook.